Sunday, February 21, 2016

My Age Journey

It began really with the arrival of Marilyn in the park....
as I walked beneath the huge statue of someone who had meant little in the 60's as I began in the teenage world...


I was wearing some walking clothes 
Sensible walking shoes  too.


As I looked up at Marilyn something shifted within my soul.
She is glamorous .
The dress cleavage is just so...
her makeup perfect & the lipstick feminine.
Suddenly 
I felt she was what feminine stands for...

I want to be transformed I said to myself..
to apply makeup that feels great & looks as if it fits my 67 years...
I want to toss away all my current clothes 
well
begin again...
But HOW ???

So this has begun my longing...
It is a strange age really ...
we have not go as far to go now
The focus in everything is OLD dressed up like mutton is with lamb..
not so good a look..it is depressing ...in a sense as it is such a push to keep moving along with positive zest.
yesterday I strolled into Blue Illusion & saw a postcard that said 
AGELESS
Wow I thought this is so on trend ....
this speaks to me in volumes...
What is this brand ...who is this 94 year old working model..

I wandered back to my car deep in thought.... as just the day previous, I was browsing in Marie Claire magazine at supermarket, it often has interesting articles for me, but none this time 
as
 I placed it back on the shelf next to Cosmo  magazine 
I thought... 
we of the age .... 
we are so needing a magazine just for us ..
to take us like Cosmo & Honey & countless magazines did in the 60’s  ..
it discussed makeup,
 fashion ...
sex, 
living in a flat 
decorating on a shoe string
 & a little love
& life
That filled my country head with aspirations & dreams & singing along to the Animals ..we gotta get out of this place ...with such passion.
It all fed my soul....
it gave me hope & it gave me a focus of sorts I suppose
 ...
We, well me, as a woman of that certain age where it is so easy to feel life has now gone...
the wind has gone out of the sails ....
so much discussion & focus on ailments, check ups, aged care,
well drugged up & let loose in a chair....comes to mind !

We have not much in music (except in the car with the radio full on to Rolling Stones or Fleetwood Mac)  
Why don't we dance the way we did for weight loss to this music ???
..Fashion, that is a constant stylish range that is also affordable for fixed incomes....
Investments.....for what.... leave it all for children, so spend lightly.....
&
baby sitting is a new trend.....what are we doing I scream inside ???
What am I saying...
 lifestyle has become moulded in fear... has it not ?

We need to, as a group, to be inspired to dream some more to take us further ????
I am ticking here, thinking ...
so much is missing 
&
 as pure economy we could drive 2 big trucks thru this market 
not hit the sides of the street....
I have friends who are doing things... so I will ask them for some input...
I will seek more ....
I have ?, observations & things I'd just dream of having now .....will you dream with me ?
That woman who filled me with more fuel and the what ???? to begin to put this out there into the blogger land was
IRIS APFEL
at 94 Iris you are some inspiration !!!! 

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Good gracious, Barbara! You got me thinking deep early in the morning.....

...there is still wind in the sails

theodora said...

Ha ha Nicole, we need to keep thinking deep....Barb xx